MY 'ASA LIVE IN LAGOS' EXPERIENCE

I fell in love with Asa in 2007 when Dan Foster was still at Cool FM.
I dare you to hate Asa when Dan was on air. He won't even let you breath. The only time he didn't play her songs was during Sunday Praise jam.

I heard Fire on the mountain first then Bibanke and 360 made me fall in love with the person, Asa.
Over the years Asa has dropped good music, with her you don't fear that she will go commercial. Asa has stayed true and remained commercial.

You should have seen how excited I was the minute I found out Asa was coming to Lagos, then how sad I was when I found out I couldn't afford it, then how elated I was when someone out of the blues offered to pay for me, it was the best birthday gift I could have gotten.

The day before the concert I had started learning all my lyrics, just to be sure I still remembered.

I feared that the event would not start on time,as all Lagos events are.
So I asked her on IG and she promised that the show would start on time and gates will be locked by 8:30pm (She doesn't care if you bought ticket,you will not disrespect her by coming late)

BFF level 1 unlocked


 Asa is an accurate timekeeper, she showed us that its possible the event started 7: 45 and by 8pm Isaac Geralds had finished his wonderful performance.

After we had Kaline and her choreographers/back up singers let's just say they enjoyed their performance themselves.

Then we had Falana perform My Favorite Things from The sound of Music and her own song 'Gbo ti e'. That babe is fire!!!

Afterwards Bez performed Zuciya Daya and Stupid song, he reminded us of why we loved him. See Bez has grown, was it not yesterday he was doing radio tour for his first single and Matse was asking him how often he washes his boxers?

Then Rachel  Kerr ended the supporting parts session with 'All of you' and 'Hold my hand'.
We took a 20 minutes break and Asa came to shut it down!!!

She perfomed songs off her Asha, Beautiful Imperfection and Bed of Stone albums.
She took us down memory lane with Awe, Satan be Gone, Eyo, New Year, Situation, Bed of Stone, The Way I feel, Maybe, Society, The One that never comes,Dead again ( I was actually stabbing when singing along to this song),Preacher Mn, Fire on the mountain, Bibanke, Halo and 360 was performed with Cobhams, So beautiful, Bimpe, Jailer, Bamidele and she rounded up with Why can't we.

Asa performed for 2 hours, you should have seen her, she knew her stiff, she even plays a trumpet, she is so carefree in her dancing. She engaged us all.She gave her all on that stage.


I got weak just in awe. It was a spiritual experience for me, no jokes. I sang, I clapped, lifted my hands.

I was happy that I wasn't the only one who felt this way about Asa, I loved sharing this experience with the good people of Lagos. You should have seen us singing Fire on the Mountain with joy chanting like onward Asa soldiers then she sang Bibanke and we all lost it.

Saying the Asa Live in Lagos concert was good is an understatement, that's like giving her no credit.
I left that show and couldn't pick up the rest of my life the next day, I am not even exaggerating.
Asa schooled concert promoters and events planners, she taught them that keeping to time is actually not old fashioned. She schooled musicians, she made them know that 15-20 minutes-dj-play-track-one life gotta end.
Asa defies all odds and teaches that good music is here to stay.
She teaches that staying true to yourself is not mainstream, it has always been the better alternative.
Asa is what gods are made of. Asa is a god! Asa is not Amadioha's mate, they are not on the same level. Asa is legendary!
Asa will be timeless!

Photo Credit: Instagram and Twitter
Don't forget to leave a comment. They make me happy!!

No comments

nwawe ifeoma. Powered by Blogger.