NURSE ELIZA

For the past few weeks, I have found reason to visit the school health centre and its one trip I dread mainly because of the unfriendly nurses there. What is with nurses and inhospitality? I can’t remember meeting an excited nurse: does it boil down to lack of passion? I can understand if it’s just one person, but in every hospital there is one irritated nurse who is ready to talk to any patient anyhow. Or is it a case of having authority or power.Last week, I took a friend to the health centre and seeing she was weak, I felt the responsible thing to do was help in filling out her form and letting the nurse know her condition as she was quite busy (who send me ?). I filled out the form and I say, ‘Good morning ma, my friend is not feeling fine, this is her form’. See her retort, ’Ehen? What now happen? Did I talk to you?’.  In my head all I can think of is ‘Owu!!! Where did that come from? Why so angry? Are we sharing boyfren? Even if we are, e never reach’.

                                                      ******

In 100 level during one of the holidays I fell sick and I was throwing up badly, nothing seemed to stay in my tummy. There was a particular time I felt like throwing up and there was no one around to help me get to the bathroom, so I carried myself at snail speed and went to the toilet. I was close to the toilet bowl but nooo!! Ifeoma decided to throw up everywhere except in the toilet bowl. After this display of foolishness, I went to the room laid down and my mom walks in and she goes to the bathroom and she sees my vomit and it messes with her sanity, she loses her cool and she has her first IN YAAAAAAAA LIFE moment. She says, ‘ Ifeoma, in your life don’t ever throw up in my bathroom, what kind of nonsense is this?

Even my mom is not excluded from all these care giving matter..                                                   

                                                  ******

In 200 level, I had tooth ache. It was the most painful experience ever. I was throwing up ( me and throwing up sha), I lost weight. My gum was swollen. My dad decided that we will go to LASUTH the next day. The next day we set out early in the morning, on getting there the place was packed with sick people, all of them nervous, their eyes filled with so much pain.. The nurses at the reception started giving out numbers then they started calling out the numbers

Nurse: number 24!!!!!!!!!! You are next o!!!

Patient: ( No answer)

Nurse: number 24, I say you are next!!!!

Patient: ( an elderly man) yes I am here.

Nurse: Una no go gree answer, I don dey shout here since u no answer. Na una know sef.

Ahan, for the love of sugar and all things sweet, the man was an elderly person, what if he had a hearing problem?

After all these drama, it’s my turn to see the doctor, he is quite friendly: He says, ‘Ifeoma, your dentition is quite bad and you are a pretty girl. How did you teeth get this bad? Oya, take your form to this room'.

I give the form to the receptionist in the next room and when it’s my turn the matron comes out and announces, ‘ WHO IS IFEOMA NWAWE?’. I raise my hand like a child in trouble and say, ‘me’. She starts shouting on the top of her voice, 'why is your teeth this bad? So many holes, you need to fill almost everything, you have to take some out!!

All this while and I am still in pain, I just want this to be over. She still continues, ‘Does your father work in Cadbury?’.I was about to tell her no. Then she still continues, ‘Even if he does you have no right to have a bad dentition!!! Oti o!! Don’t you know a woman’s beauty is in her smile? If they take out all your teeth how will you smile, ehn?’I can take it any more and I start crying, is her job not meant to make this thing easier? At that time her job was to make sure I never came back there again.

PS: The doctor who took out my teeth was vicious, he performed that operation with the anger of someone performing an abortion, he was squeezing his face and gritting his teeth..                                       

                                                 *****

I want you guys to share your sick experiences involving you, your family and friends…

Today is my bestest friend Layo Abe's birthday!!! She is best friend any one can have.. Happy birthday, luv.. I love you to the moon and back.  :* 

Don't forget to tell a friend to tell another friend about this space. You hear me?Have a great weekend ahead…                                                                           

                                                                                      XOXO, 

                                                                                      Ifeoma N.

10 comments

Deji said...

Ifeoma,
its been a while I was ill but that which was funny was way back in 2007, few days to exams and I fell ill. I couldn't miss the exam so I dragged myself to the clinic and got injected by the "dart thrower" (a male nurse in our school clinic, he got that name cos he injects u like he is throwing a dart ), but by midnight I had turn twice my size. Cos my body had swollen up, but I dragged my extra weight to d exam hall and sha wrote. Then the rest of the week, I had doctors and nurses use me as experiment ground.....

Unknown said...

lmao @ my body had swollen up.. I am very sure when he was giving you the injection he was acting like he was doing u a favour. Back then in secondary school, it was the auxiliary nurse that was our very own 'dart thrower'.

Anonymous said...

Nwanwe.........lol......

Ire said...

Nurses have been nice to me all my life.
But, my Dad is realy bad at being a nurse. I never liked taking drugs,so, when i was little, i would collect them and put them under the couch (the innocence of childhood sha! didn't i know my mum would sweep and discover them?) so, i'd hide them and i would be caught and well...u know the rest of the story. Memories of times i was sick as a kid are scary, not because i was sick but because i was more shouted at than when i was healthy...

Unknown said...

lmao!! me too, my mum spent most of the time shining her eyes and telling me not to throw up.. I guess its tough love..

Unknown said...

nne oh!!!!!!!!!
you just made ,my day with this nurse eliza( my best ibotic accent).
lmao @ even if your father works in cadbury,
good one my dear and keep it up.

http://ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

nwanyi oma thanks for stopping by.. u do well!!!!!

JustPorsh said...

Lmao!
Crack ya ribs!
Serzly, u've never met a mean nurse until u've attended a Federal Second School in Nigeria!
Meanness is an understatement. They make the deil seem like a nice man.
You would go to the clinic with a fever and you would be handed about 30 tablets to swallow. A closer look and you would find 12 paracetamol, 10 panadol, 5 vitamin c etc.
Don't take the drugs na, they wee slap u senseless!
Injections are the worst!
I can remember being unable to walk for 2days after a nurse stabbed me with injection.

No be small nurse eliza!

StyleFash25 said...

Hahahaha "in yaaaaaaaaa life". Well my mum was a nurse but she was nice to everyone o. We only fought when she had to give me injection. I hate injections with a passion. I remember once, i was running around and she was chasing me to give me the injection and the next thing i heard "I'll be very violent with you now this girl"...LOL. And i was wondering, violent with a sick person ke? I then remembered she was did Psychiatric nursing for a while, no one told me to be still.

First time on your blog and i'm lovong it :-D

www.stylefash25.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

lmao!!! Thanks for stopping dear!!

nwawe ifeoma. Powered by Blogger.