HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

I don’t know about many people, but for my family there is an unwritten rule that if you add color to your hair, the heaven might come down to the earth, thunder might strike.

Well at least that is how my mind inteprets the events that will follow, the day I decide to make colored hair. So imagine my joy, the day my oversabi sister told my mom i wanted to unleash my inner Jeanie Mai by adding blue highlights to my hair. My mom said, 'Ehn, let her do now.  No be her head? '

This is what I have in mind 

I was like, how? Why?
I thought she wasn't okay. Was my mom sick and we didn't know?  She just approved blue hair without argument?
It occurred to me that the mom had washed her hands off my case. She wasn't making decisions for me anymore
*****
I was going to make my hair. I said, 'Iya, I want to go and make my hair '
Iya: Ngwanu, bye bye
No, check my wallet for money for relaxer or workmanship.
Old age has come knocking and I never hexperrrd it.
****
Nowadays during devotion, the days of praying for good grades are gone. The prayer of a future spouse that will love and celebrate not tolerate Ifeoma is raised before heaven.
When I was much younger and anyone asked about my age, with so much joy, I would reply 18 and feel like my life was in order.
Fast forward some years later, that question meets a hostile reply. Sigh.
The other day someone asked me what is your genotype (it was supposed to be a pick up line),because I like showing myself, I said I am AS, he says we can't be friends anymore.  I am like how?!  Since when this one start?!
What happened to the days of 'Hello, baby gyal. Did your father steal the stars and put it in your eyes?  or 'Baby are you a broom, because you sweep me off my feet '.
People have started bringing Asoebi for me to buy, just when I was thinking I was a baby boy.
Mehn I am old.
****
In my old age, I still attempt to dance shoki to kiss Daniels 'Woju'. I know i should stop since I am quite awful at it and I still scream when I hear 2face's 'Ihe neme'. I should stop but what the hell? I have earned the right.
Ah!! Shoki!! 

But in the past months i have learnt to see God through my situation,  I am learning gratitude, I am beginning to understand the dignity of labour and loving every bit of it.
I am learning to be happy while I wait for the next season of my life, no impatience.
I am learning to enjoy the journey while I arrive at my destination.
My best days are yet to come!!
For everyone who has made today special for me, my Lord bless you!!

PS: I still want my blue hair, maybe it is midlife crisis, I just want to know how Obalende and Benin girls feel when they have all colors of the rainbow on their head.
Photo credit: thatIgbochick and Chidinma Nwawe
     

No comments

nwawe ifeoma. Powered by Blogger.